28 Mar Contra Costa Community College District
Based on our success with other community college clients, Dr. Helen Benjamin, chancellor of this three-college district in the bay area of San Francisco, engaged us to conduct a thorough assessment of the district’s three foundations. Her challenge was simple: how do we organize to maximize resources, sustain advancement efforts, and increase philanthropic revenues.
Our assessment recommended a structure that would employ a single executive director for all three foundations, and consolidate back office functions (accounting, gift processing, database management). This would ensure best practices and eliminate redundant costs.
The recommendations also included a new advancement structure, that provides centralized annual giving and event services, but employed full-time development officers for each college.
Our recommendations were quickly accepted and implemented.
Within the first year, advancement team members were hired; foundation governance documents update and streamlined, and back office functions consolidated. Perhaps the most important outcome was an increase in philanthropy after the first year.
We are proud to have an ongoing relationship, assisting with the evolution of the model. Our services have included:
- Drafting of updated governance documents
- Strategic planning and team building with staff
- Coaching of the executive director
- Training college presidents in the art of major gift fundraising
- Facilitating long term goal setting and advancement planning with the chancellor, college presidents, and advancement staff
- Hands-on leadership in creating the district’s first alumni database